Monday 27 May 2013

AS I AM, AS YOU ARE.


Terming God as merely creative would be an understatement. He is marvelously and incredibly crafty, witty and wise to infinity. With these bombastic adjectives, I only hope to have attempted to capture God's amazing ability to create all that I can see and all that which I cannot even imagine, let alone see. Our God is an awesome God. 

Focusing on that which I can see, in God's vast creation, none is as captivating as the human species. They have never ceased to amaze me. They always leave me guessing how God could look like since we were all created in God's image as Genesis 1:27 refrains. The billions of personalities, faces and abilities the world population has, all have a unified origin and that is God's hands. We all posses His breath. The thought of that leaves me awed and God's love for me becomes more than just a reality. When I look around and see the many faces, I see God. With that, God has taught me how to love. 

No doubt our creator had a good reason why he made us different. My High School Chemistry teacher once wondered with us in class, “What if we were all the same? Wouldn't the world be the most boring place?” I agreed with her. I envisioned a mass of people who all looked the same, had the same character, likes and dislikes. It would have its advantages, but then, this way, which is God's way, appears better. Appreciating this fact has taught me to accommodate various types of people. It is not easy. The character traits of some individuals may get to us badly. However, with the Grace of God, we have the ability to accommodate and even love just about anyone. 

My mother learnt this life lesson the hard way and I have to thank God because in turn, I too, have learnt. She grew up in an ideal society, knowing that all people were designed to behave well and everyone knew that they had a duty to make the world a better place. Of course she could not have stayed there forever. She got married and had to move to a totally different environment. Her societal generalizations were however met with a staggering shock. She was apparently expecting too much from our treacherous society. She had a hard time adjusting and almost succumbed to depression. The very people that she expected to be her closest friends around turned out to be a jealous and malicious lot. This realization got her very disappointed and it almost got the better of her. Nevertheless, God was always by her side and in the end, she emerged a victor and conquered it all. She has since healed and indeed learned a great deal. Today, my mom is more confident in approaching life or anyone. She has also understood that in life, we should expect anything.

Things cannot always go our way especially in situations that are beyond our control. It is why in the serenity prayer, we say, “God give us the grace to accept, with serenity, the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.” That way, we will be at peace with nature and even with those around us. We will be able to take on everything as it comes. Also, we will learn to appreciate ourselves knowing that we are who we are for a reason. By no means should anyone feel pressured to be like anyone else rather than themselves. We can only seek God to transform us from deep within so that we can be our best. He is the only one who knows why and for what purpose He made each one of us. Seeking Him everyday and ensuring that we live our lives in a way that is pleasing unto Him will indeed reach us to that splendid destiny.

Therefore, as I am I will accept me, and as you are I will embrace you.

1 comment: